MLRC’s Defense Counsel Section includes approximately 200 law firms across the country, as well as overseas, that specialize in media and First Amendment defense representation and pledge not to represent plaintiffs in libel, privacy and related claims against the media.
Non-U.S. based law firms, or the non-U.S. offices of U.S.-based Defense Counsel Section firms, that do an extensive amount of media defense work, but may, as well, on occasion, represent plaintiffs in media cases may be eligible for Associate Membership.
Defense Counsel Section Member list as of July 20, 2012
Basic membership: $1,250 ($500 for solo practitioners and firms of three lawyers and less)
Enhanced membership: $2,000 ($1,000 for solo practitioners and firms of three lawyers and less)
- MLRC MediaLawLetter: the leading monthly news publication for media defense lawyers, each issue contains articles and updates on court decisions and legislative initiatives of interest in the U.S. and abroad.
- MLRC Bulletin: delivered electronically three times per year, it contains reports on trends, developments, and news in First Amendment law and litigation. The MLRC Bulletin also publishes the results of MLRC-initiated statistical studies and symposia.
- Litigation resources: access to Brief Bank, Jury Instruction Bank, and Expert Witness Database resources
- All reports and publications of MLRC and MLRC committees.
- Invitations to MLRC conferences and events .
- Participation in MLRC committees and projects.
- DCS Membership Directory listing.
- Eligibility for discounts on the MLRC 50-State Surveys.
- Optional subscriptions (see below)
All benefits available to Basic Members (see above) plus:
- MLRC MediaLawDaily: published five days a week by e-mail, the Daily links to breaking news stories from the U.S. and the world on media law and business issues, and to decisions, briefs and legislative initiatives.
- ONLINE ACCESS to current and all archived MLRC MediaLawLetters, 1994 to present.
- ONLINE ACCESS to current and all archived LDRC/MLRC Bulletins, 1980 to present.
- ONLINE ACCESS to all MLRC Litigation Resources, including Brief, Jury Instruction, Expert, and Newsroom Seminar Banks, and going forward, all newly obtained briefs, jury instructions and other litigation resource materials.
Optional subscriptions for Basic Members
- Litigation Resources: On-line access to Brief Bank, Jury Instruction Bank, and Expert Witness Databank indices and, going forward, all newly obtained briefs, jury instructions and other litigation resource materials: $500
- Online access to current and all archived MLRC MediaLawLetters, 1994 to present: $350
- Online access to current and all archived LDRC/MLRC Bulletins, 1980 to present: $350